Friday, January 27, 2012

Compassion: The Word of the Day

Actually, compassion is tied for Word of the Day status with "soy."  The homie Sprows just came up with the greatest sequel title ever: "Latte 2: You Soy Crazy."
But I digress.

It's been a trying few days.  I'm near the completion of an article, and anyone who's written anything for submission knows that those moments before you hand it are sheer terror.  Added to the general upheaval of my life right now, this article is kicking my a$$.  I'm tired a lot.  It's kind of tough to talk to people for very long.  I want to fill a swimming pool with Glenlivet and reincarnate Hunter S. Thompson to baptize me and wash/anesthetize my sins away.

After trying a bunch of different strategies today to deal with all my stuff, I finally decided that I was going to try to worry about the troubles of others for a while.  I'm working on compassion without expectation of immediate reward.  Of course, I hope unselfishly concerning myself with the well being of others plants those good karmic seeds that will send angels my way to help me out, but it's karma's job to worry about the return on my investment, not mine.  I'm interested in trying to help people just for it's own sake.

So if you see a bald guy walking down the street looking dazed and friendly in Chapel Thrill, know that he's just repeating a one-word mantra and looking for people to help.  If you need someone to help you move this weekend, you're in luck.  Holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment