Saturday, January 21, 2012

Airplane Thoughts


Written on the plane to Akron yesterday.  I swear I did my job.

They had to put the locks on doors to the cockpit in the airplanes.  No cost was too great to prevent 9/11 from ever happening again.  I get that.  I agree.

And yet…

I remember the scenes from old movies where the stewardess came into the cockpit to ask a question or bring a soda.  There’d be some friendly banter.  If it was a comedy, the stewardess would be hot, the pilot awkward, and the pass me made at her comedicaly painful.

Today, I wonder if the stewardesses and pilots ever talk.  When can they?  Do they miss each other?  Is either job worse now than it was 20 years ago because you don’t get along as well or often with your coworkers?

We have gotten so good at putting barriers between each other that we now don’t even notice the costs to doing so.

2 comments:

  1. I think the mile high club attracts flight attendant-passenger couples. Pilots are SOL and just try to stay alive behind locked doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...So the increased customer satisfaction offsets the decrease in employee interactions? I must recalculate my cost/benefit analysis.

    ReplyDelete