Sunday, March 31, 2013

Lessons in Humility: Yoga Teacher (In) Training


Before we left Florida this morning, Carolyn and I did yoga together.  I was sad and emotional about leaving, so I didn’t want to lead a class.  We just did whatever asanas we wanted for about 20 minutes.  Towards the end of our practice, she helped me stay up in pincha, and it felt wonderful.  Squeezing her arm between my legs allowed me to stay up longer away from the wall than I ever had before.  

Then she said she’d like to do headstand, a pose she’s worked on a bunch recently and has improved greatly.  To repay her assist, I offered to assist her.  I did a great job stabilizing her hips, but while I was admiring my handiwork and her headstand, I zoned out.  I wasn’t present.

2 seconds later, girlfriend falls on her back.  Eep.  

Pictured: NOT CAROLYN

Girlfriend is unhurt and cheerful about the whole thing, but boyfriend is a little embarrassed at the very basic lesson he apparently needed to learn.  Today’s lesson: if I am grumpy and not committed to teach, I will not teach, not even for one pose.  If I do commit to teach, then I must teach 100 percent, even if it’s “only” for one pose.  My students will count on me to be present for however long both of us have committed.  

Last weekend, I had coffee with the owner of the World’s Greatest Yoga Studio, and she advised that a yogi who teaches from a place of love, moderation, and humility will always remain in balance.  Lately I find that humility is very, very easy, because I continue to make mistakes when I teach, and those mistakes do not hesitate to manifest themselves in ways that touch other people.  All I can hope is that I learn my lessons.


1 comment:

  1. Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh-The course is fouded on both practical excercises and yogic philisophy, presented in a educative and consistent way.

    ReplyDelete