Thursday, December 13, 2012

Still D.R.E.

Given that my readership pre-hiatus was, uh, just my friends, I don't think I need to spend much time explaining why I was on hiatus.  I moved to Cleveland.  I took a job crunching numbers with Cleveland Metropolitan School District.  My whole life flipped.

Well, not the whole life.  Some things stayed the same.  I still love my family.  I still went camping with the homies.  I still date the best woman on the planet. I still dig Terry Riley.  I still watched good triumph over evil.  I still almost have pincha mayurasana. All of these constants have been tremendous comfort during a time when my life was in upheaval.  


I also try to be mindful of these constants as constants as much as possible now because there's a great lesson about how little concepts like "change" and "constancy" mean.  I've changed jobs and locations, which feels like a lot because it is, but the bedrock of who I am remains blissfully unchanged, for which I am so, so grateful.  But that bedrock is an illusion, too.  All the things in the preceding paragraph--my yoga, my relationships, the kids wearing the Pennridge green--all of it changes constantly.  The second I define it, it changes, and I struggle for words to describe how that feels, because it feels like a koan.

One thing I know for sure: I miss writing.  It's one of the few parts of my old profession that I do miss, and this blog was a great source of personal development and a way to connect with others.  I don't know if I can live up to the blog's name any more, but I am committed to trying to write here as frequently as possible.  Hope you stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment